Painting Old and Aged Roof Tiles for a Fresh Look!
JPS Coatings proudly offers Evolving Elements, a unique solution for outstanding concrete roof tile coating. The Australian-owned and operated company has specially formulated a complete range of components for a high-performance roof coating system.
Australia has seen the use of roof tiles since 1844. Local companies started hand making concrete roof tiles in Melbourne and Sydney in the 1920’s, so it comes as no surprise that this rugged roofing is still on some of Australia’s residential properties throughout the east coast. Though they may still be partially waterproof and doing their job at protecting your house from the elements, there is something that is lost when they are covered in mould, bird droppings and fading from their once-rich colour.
HOW TO APPLY THE CONCRETE ROOF TILE COATING SYSTEM
This is a comprehensive guide created by Evolving Elements to outline their specialist made concrete roof tile coating system. Evolving Elements is a leading roof coating choice used by professional roofers and restoration experts.
There is no arguing that this is the most vital step in the process. Begin by removing down-pipes and creating a safe working environment for you and anyone working with you.
Prior to pressure cleaning, the applicator is required to repair any broken or leaking tiles, penetrations, flashings and timber-work. All substrates must be free from all forms of contamination including dirt, dust, grease, oil. Done thoroughly, this will prevent bond breakage. It’s recommended that high-pressure water blasting is used as the method of roof cleaning.
- Premclean is applied before pressure cleaning to assist in the removal of contaminants. This high grade product is specifically designed to release moss, lichen and deposits of oil and grease from a range of substrates – resulting in the prevention of film defects. This also makes the next clean faster and more effective.
- A coat of Anti-Mould Plus+ is then recommended to inhibit the re-growth of mold and lichen.
The cement bedding can now be replaced, after the pressure cleaning has been completed. Roof pointing is an industry standard roofing technique whereby the roof bedding is coated with a specialized compound that promotes stronger bondage of tiles. It also seals the entire roof against dust and water. Conventional mortar has a reputation of cracking and giving way to water penetration after a period of time.
- Durapoint is the Evolving Elements’ solution. It is a flexible roof pointing material for use on old and new roof tiles. Specially formulated, this compound delivers excellent performance by contracting and expanding with fluctuating weather conditions. The applicator will only need to apply one coat of Durapoint to seal roofs for a full decade provided the complete system is adhered to.
The substrate must be cleaned after roof pointing before progressing to the priming stage. This coating process must follow immediately after cleaning as the roof cannot be left uncoated. This may hinder the adherence to subsequent coatings.
- Primecrete is applied in one coat to reduce the absorption loss of the remaining system.
- Levelcoat may also be applied as a surface leveler if the concrete roof tiles are eroded or uneven, prior to the top coat.
- Duramembrane is applied as a top coat to restore, rejuvenate and seal old and aged roofs. This coating is 100% acrylic based, making it highly durable to withstand extremes of Australian and Southeast Asian weather.